[R-sig-eco] pca or nmds (with which normalization and distance ) for abundance data ?

Stephen Sefick sas0025 at auburn.edu
Thu Dec 13 21:03:47 CET 2012

On Thu 13 Dec 2012 09:24:41 AM CST, claire della vedova wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I’m a biostatistician working for a French institute involved in
> environmental risk assessment, and I would need help to understand the
> results I obtained from several ordination analyses.
>
> I have a dataset of 25 sites. For these 25 sites I have abundance data
> of 38
> species and also the measurement of 5 environmental variables.
>
> Here an extract of my abundance data for the 5 first sites:
>
> Anguinidae.ditylenchus Aphelenchidae Aphelenchoididae Aporcelaimidae
>
> 12 18 184 0
>
> 0 14 154 0
>
> 45 0 101 6
>
> 20 0 148 0
>
> 0 0 118 0
>

> Here the environmental data for the 5 first sites:
>
> ExtPond moist Corg pH DV50
>
> 0.946 9.086 4.269 5.24 171.33
>
> 0.682 27.139 23.813 3.82 75.45
>
> 2.480 14.322 7.191 4.48 230.90
>
> 3.069 18.380 11.404 3.58 211.19
>
> 2.615 16.693 7.128 4.12 224.45
>

> My aim was to study how the distribution of species is linked with
> environmental data.
>
> Firstly, I did a PCA (with vegan library), using a Hellinger
> transformation,
> with commands like this :
>
> acp1<-rda(decostand(myDataSpec[,c(25:62)], "hellinger"))

Is the Hellinger transform done on relative proportions?

> The first axe represent 19.5% the second one 16.3%. A colleague of me said
> it is not so bad with abundance data, but it seems to me quite poor.
> What do
> you think about ?

You could use something like the broken stick model or others to access
how many axes are necessary, but two axes explaining <40% of the
variation seems low.

> Then, I fitted environmental vectors with the envfit function (of vegan
> library), with commands like this :
>
> physCInd.fit3<-envfit(acp1,MyDataEnv[,c(13,18,20,21,23)], permut=4999,
> na.rm=T)
>
> It appeared that pH variable is significantly linked with the ordination,
> and the pval of ExtPond is 0.1.
>
> Next I did a RDA which is not significant.
>
> To finish I did two NMDS. For the first one I used the Hellinger
> normalization and the Bray-Curtis distance. The stress obtained value is
> 0.22, Non metric fit R² is 0.952 and Linear fit R2 =0.777. When I
> fitted the
> environmental vectors , ExtPond was correlated with the ordination (pval
> =0.02) and p-val of pH = 0.23
>
> But then I read in “numerical ecology” page 449 that it’s better to
> standardize the data by dividing each value by maximum abundance for
> species
> and then use Kulcynski distance. The stress value was 0.23 , Non
> metric fit
> R² was 0.948 and Linear fit R2 =0.69. These values are a little less good
> than those of the first NMDS, but the stressplot seems to me more
> homogenous.
>
> Nevertheless, the results I obtained are very different... When I fitted
> the environmental data it appeared that ExtPond was not correlated
> with this
> ordination (p-val=0.82) and p-val of pH=0.06. And obviously ExtPond is the
> most important variable for us ;-)
>
> With all these results, I’m quite confused, and I don’t know what to
> think.
> So, if someone can help me, I would appreciate it very much. Be sure that
> all comments will be welcome.
>
> To summarize my questions are :
>
> a) Which ordination method would be better for my data : PCA knowing
> that the represented inertia is 35.62% or NMDS with a stress value about
> 0.22?

My opinion is PCA on hellinger transformed relative proportions "means"
more than an NMDS

> b) If NMDS is more adapted which one is the better? with Hellinger
> normalization and Bray-Curtis distance, or with the normalization
> recommended by Legendre and Legendre and Kulcynski distance ?

I sounds like the normalization you are referring to is relative
proportion which is si/sum(s); s is a vector of taxon at a site.

> c) Is there other method to apply? I’m going to try co-inertia with
> ade4 package

I am reading about co-inertia analysis now as it may be useful for some
of the things that I am planning on doing.  This method looks promising.

You are going to have to decide on what type of ordination to use with
COIA...

HTH,

Stephen