[R-sig-eco] Package bio.infer: get.taxonomic() hangs R after editing taxa list

Eduard Szöcs szoe8822 at uni-landau.de
Wed Dec 12 15:25:32 CET 2012

Hai Rich,

Have a look at our recently released taxize-package.
However we some some problems with the ITIS-API, too. (Maybe some server
issues?)
See https://github.com/ropensci/taxize_/issues/72

However with taxize you can also query the NCBI taxonomy browser as
alternative:

df <- read.table(header = TRUE, as.is = TRUE, text = 'SVN
Taxon CountValue
1 WP220110711  Zaitzevia.parvula        484
2 WP220110711           Tvetenia        109
3 WP220110711        Tubificidae       1054
4 WP220110711            Sweltsa         11
5 WP220110711 Suwallia.pallidula         32
6 WP220110711     Stempellinella         11 ')
df$Taxon <- gsub("\\.", " ", df$Taxon)

require(taxize)

#query itis
classification(get_tsn(df$Taxon))
### This may fail sometimes. 'Connection reset by peer'
### we are working at it:
### see https://github.com/ropensci/taxize_/issues/72

# query ncbi taxonomy-browser instead
classification(get_uid(df$Taxon))