[R-sig-eco] Vegan metaMDS: unusual first run stress values with large data set

Ewan Isherwood ewan.isherwood at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 20:15:01 CET 2012

Hello, R-Community! This is the first time writing to this group and
indeed the first time using a mailing list, so please bear with me if
I’ve done something wrong.

I have a large species x site matrix (89 x 4831) that I want to
ordinate using metaMDS in the Vegan (2.0-5) package in R (2.15.2). If
I run this data frame using the Jaccard index in two or more
dimensions (k>1), the first run (run=0) has a relatively low stress
value and the other 20 runs are much higher and have very low
deviation. However, k=1 seems to work fine. Furthermore, a
stress/scree plot reveals a pyramid-like shape, where the k=1 lowest
stress value is low, increases rapidly for k=2 then decreases slowly
as k increases.

Dimensions	Stress
1	0.1382185
2	0.1939509
3	0.1695375
4	0.155221
5	0.1406408
6	0.1294149

I’ve tried this with a small iteration of this data and this issue
arises at k>2 rather than at k>1 as it is here. Anyway, this is the
input and output:

library(vegan)
library(MASS)
PSU <- read.table("PSU.txt", header = TRUE, sep = "")
PSU.sp <- PSU[, 22:110]
PSU.NMDS <- metaMDS(PSU.sp, k=4, zerodist = "add", distance = "jaccard")

Square root transformation
Wisconsin double standardization
Zero dissimilarities changed into  0.0006657301
Run 0 stress 0.155221
Run 1 stress 0.2548103
Run 2 stress 0.255434
Run 3 stress 0.2551382
… (Up to run 20 where run 1 through run 20 have all very similar stress values.)

Call:
metaMDS(comm = PSU.sp, distance = "jaccard", k = 4, zerodist = "add")

global Multidimensional Scaling using monoMDS