[R-sig-eco] Log transformed simple linear regression and Poisson regression

Brooks,Mollie E mbrooks at ufl.edu
Wed Aug 1 20:17:17 CEST 2012

Hi Lin,
If y is count data, then you should probably model it with either the
Poisson or negative binomial distributions because these are for counts.
You can sometimes get away with the normal distribution if the counts
are very large.

There is an article by O'Hara and Kotz in Methods in Ecology and
Evolution titled "Do not log-transform count data". So your first
approach is probably unacceptable.

The similarity is that Poisson regressions typically use a log link
function (the function glm does this by default). A log link means that
the model follows the same exponential form that you've specified in
your first approach (except for the +1). If y does not appear to have an
accelerating relationship with the predictors, you can try an identity
link, but it is more fragile.

cheers,
Mollie