[R-sig-eco] rarefaction not working with the min species number

Stephen Sefick sas0025 at auburn.edu
Wed Apr 25 19:50:41 CEST 2012

Brian,

What would you suggest?  Is there any literature that you would suggest
that I read?  The abundances are estimated from a subsample of the whole
sample using a volumetric procedure (subsamples out of 1L until at least
300 individuals are picked).  This results in fractions of individuals
for some, but not all taxa at a site.
many thanks,

Stephen

On 04/25/2012 09:29 AM, Brian Inouye wrote:
> Although rounding to the nearest integer will make the code run
> without an error, it seems like then you are making the implicit
> assumption that every unit of abundance is an independent sample with
> equal probability of occurrence, equivalent to independent
> individuals.  While I can imagine that is justifiable for some
> datasets, in other cases that would be a dubious assumption.
> -Brian
>
> On 4/25/2012 6:00 AM, r-sig-ecology-request at r-project.org wrote:
>> From: Stephen Sefick<sas0025 at auburn.edu>
>> To: Jari Oksanen<jari.oksanen at oulu.fi>
>> Cc: r-sig-ecology<r-sig-ecology at r-project.org>
>> Subject: Re: [R-sig-eco] rarefaction not working with the min species
>>     number
>>
>> Jari,
>>
>> Many thanks, that did the trick.  Here is a little bit of code that
>> took my non-integer data (abundance estimates), rounds, and turns the
>> numbers into a data.frame with all integers col classes.
>>
>> community_round2int<- function(L){

Stephen Sefick
Auburn University
Biological Sciences
331 Funchess Hall
Auburn, Alabama
36849
sas0025 at auburn.edu
http://www.auburn.edu/~sas0025

Let's not spend our time and resources thinking about things that are so little or so large that all they really do for us is puff us up and make us feel like gods.  We are mammals, and have not exhausted the annoying little problems of being mammals.

                                 -K. Mullis

"A big computer, a complex algorithm and a long time does not equal science."

                               -Robert Gentleman