[R-sig-eco] rarefaction not working with the min species number

Stephen Sefick sas0025 at auburn.edu
Tue Apr 24 15:55:05 CEST 2012

Jari,

Many thanks, that did the trick.  Here is a little bit of code that
took my non-integer data (abundance estimates), rounds, and turns the
numbers into a data.frame with all integers col classes.

community_round2int <- function(L){

row <- rownames(L)

a <- as.data.frame(apply(L, 2, round))

b <- as.data.frame(apply(a, 2, as.integer))

rownames(b) <- row

return(b)

}

kindest regards,

Stephen

On Tue 24 Apr 2012 08:01:16 AM CDT, Jari Oksanen wrote:

> On 24/04/2012, at 15:39 PM, Stephen Sefick wrote:
>
>> I will provide reproducible code if I need to.
>>
>> All:
>>
>> I am trying to set up a 1000 pulls of a community data frame for calculating richness measures.  I would like to be able to code the sample number based on the minimum of all of the samples.  I can do this but there is an error:
>>
>> Error in sample(rep(nm, times = x[i, ]), sample[i]) :
>>   cannot take a sample larger than the population when 'replace = FALSE'
>>
>> when using:
>>
>> rrarefy(L, min(apply(L, 1, sum)))
>>
>> min is returning the lowest sample abundance of all of the samples.  rrarefy works if I subtract 5 (arbitrary) from the min(...) statement.  I am sure that I am missing something simple.
>> many thanks,
>>
> Stephen,
>
> I can reproduce this if input data ('L') contain non-integer data. The function is only able to handle integer data, but it does not check the input. Probably it should: the error would still be there, but the message would be more informative.
>
> Cheers, Jari
>
> --
> Jari Oksanen, Dept Biology, Univ Oulu, 90014 Finland

Stephen Sefick
Auburn University
Biological Sciences
331 Funchess Hall
Auburn, Alabama
36849
sas0025 at auburn.edu
http://www.auburn.edu/~sas0025

Let's not spend our time and resources thinking about things that are
so little or so large that all they really do for us is puff us up and
make us feel like gods.  We are mammals, and have not exhausted the
annoying little problems of being mammals.

                                -K. Mullis

"A big computer, a complex algorithm and a long time does not equal
science."

                              -Robert Gentleman