[R-sig-eco] ICC confidence intervals and power analysis for random effects in lmer?

Tom A. Langen - tlangen tlangen at clarkson.edu
Thu Apr 12 14:40:44 CEST 2012

> 2) A reviewer requested a power analysis of the ability to detect a significant random effect. Any tips on how to approach that?

The reviewer was requesting a post-hoc power analysis,  either an 'observed power' or 'detectable effect size' analysis. Hoenig and Heisey (2001) provide the definitive paper showing that the use of post hoc power analysis is fallacious, and that confidence intervals provide a more informative way to evaluate inferences about not rejecting the null statistical hypotheses. There are other good recent papers making the same point, but Hoenig and Heisey (2001) is definitive in my opinion.

See: Hoenig, J. M., and D. M. Heisey. 2001. The abuse of power: The pervasive fallacy of power calculations for data analysis. Am. Stat. 55: 1-6.

Note that this only applies to post hoc power analysis. Use of power analysis as an aid to planning experiments is an essential tool for experimental design.

Tom Langen

Associate Professor
Departments of Biology & Psychology
Clarkson University

Box 5805, Clarkson U., Potsdam NY 13699-5805
Phone: 315 268 7933, Fax: 315 268 7118
www.clarkson.edu/~tlangen