[R-sig-eco] ICC confidence intervals and power analysis for random effects in lmer?

Mollie Brooks mbrooks at ufl.edu
Thu Apr 12 07:11:38 CEST 2012

Hi Brad,
I'm also interested in getting reliable CI on random effects because I want to know how the within treatment variability differs among treatments. The only ways I know to get CI on random effects are to either do likelihood profiling, or (preferably) MCMC sampling. If your desired distribution and link function are built into either glmmADMB or MCMCglmm, then go for those. I have been using ADMB via R2admb recently to do my own profiling and MCMC sampling of semi-non-standard GLMMs. I could try to be more specific and helpful if you have a more specific model formulation in mind, but other people might have better ideas, especially if you wrote to the mixed models list.
best,
Mollie

Mollie Brooks
Ph.D. Candidate