[R-sig-eco] Simper analysis with different dissimilarity index

Jari Oksanen jari.oksanen at oulu.fi
Mon Apr 2 06:59:09 CEST 2012

Federico,

The simper() function uses Bray-Curtis since they were the dissimilarities that Clarke used in his original paper. Some other dissimilarities could be used as well, but *not* Jaccard. It may be that nobody has interest to change the function to accommodate for other dissimilarities, but such amendments could be added to vegan if anybody contributes a patch (and in case anybody wants to do this, the easiest source to work with may be at http://github.com/jarioksa/vegan).

By the way, Bray-Curtis and Jaccard should have identical rank-order.

Cheers, Jari Oksanen