[R-sig-eco] bursts in adehabitat

Mathieu Basille basille at ase-research.org
Thu Sep 8 20:55:43 CEST 2011

Dear Jacqueline,

Sorry if I'm a little late on this conversation. To complete Josh's
answer, a burst is intended to be a series of relocation from one
individual collected at regular interval. Imagine a monitoring project
based on GPS collars, with one relocation every 1h year-round. Every
time an individual is fit with a new collar, a lag might be included
between the two collars, so that each collar would define a new burst.
Now, if the schedule is set to 1 relocation every hour at day, and 1
relocation every 4h at night, every night and every day of each
individual should be considered as separate bursts (that can make a lot
of bursts).

It doesn't matter if you have some missing values within a burst (see
e.g. 'setNA' to add NAs) or if the interval is not precisely the same
(see e.g. 'sett0' to make the trajectory regular). What is important
though, is that the burst defines the individual set of relocations used
for many functions, as Josh already underlined. In your case, I would
probably use each movie as a burst, complete the trajectory and make it
regular if it is of any use for you.

You might have a look at:

vignette("adehabitatLT")

which is incredibly useful to me when I have doubts about the use of the
package.

Best,
Mathieu.

Le 2011-08-26 10:45, J. Augusiak a écrit :
> Many thanks Josh.
>

> This makes it much clearer now. I do rely on time intervals as I do the
> tracking based on an “1-image-per-second” basis as calibration for further
> modelling where I also plan to work with fixed time steps.
>

> Now I know how I will handle ltraj. :-)
>

> Thanks again,
>

> Jacqueline

~$ whoami
Mathieu Basille, Post-Doc

~$ locate
Laboratoire d'Écologie Comportementale et de Conservation de la Faune
+ Centre d'Étude de la Forêt
Département de Biologie
Université Laval, Québec

~$ info
http://ase-research.org/basille

~$ fortune
``If you can't win by reason, go for volume.''
Calvin, by Bill Watterson.