[R-sig-eco] Sources for learning mapping/GIS with R? (Raphael Mazor)

Edwards, Andrew Andrew.Edwards at dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Fri Oct 28 00:01:04 CEST 2011

Dear Raphael,

You may want to take a look at the R package PBSmapping  (Mapping
Fisheries Data and Spatial Analysis Tools). It's available on CRAN.

The description is:

"This software has evolved from fisheries research conducted at the
Pacific Biological Station (PBS) in Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada.
It extends the R language to include two-dimensional plotting features
similar to those commonly available in a Geographic Information System
(GIS). Embedded C code speeds algorithms from computational geometry,
such as finding polygons that contain specified point events or
converting between longitude-latitude and Universal Transverse Mercator
(UTM) coordinates. It includes data for a global shoreline and other
data sets in the public domain. The R directory
'.../library/PBSmapping/doc' includes a complete user's guide
PBSmapping-UG.pdf. To use this package effectively, please consult the
guide."

The CRAN page is:

http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/PBSmapping/index.html

including a link to the reference manual.

Let me know if it is useful for your needs. We do maintain it here,
often employing students or contractors, so it's useful to know how
useful people find it.

Cheers,

Andrew Edwards

--