[R-sig-eco] driver problem in RODBC

Tom_Philippi at nps.gov Tom_Philippi at nps.gov
Fri Nov 18 18:16:43 CET 2011

This isn't exactly an ecological question, but something that can waste a
lot of ecologists' time getting it to work (it's already wasted a lot of
mine)...

Are you running 64-bit R?  If so, try the same call to
odbcConnectAccess2007() in 32-bit R.  There are quite a few "issues" with
64-bit ODBC in 64-bit win 7, especially if you have 32-bit Office
installed.  If you need to run things in 64-bit R, you can read files in
32-bit, save them with save() or save.image(), then start 64-bit R and use
load() to bring in the objects (.RData files are portable across OSes as
well as 32 v 64 bit architecture).

If you still get this error in 32-bit R, email me with the results of
sessionInfo() and the version numbers for your win 7 and MS Office and I'll
try to help further.

If the Access file was on a remote server, you would have to set up the
ODBC source in windows.  The trick is that in 64-bit Win 7, the regular
data sources approach (control panel, administrative tools, data sources)
uses the 64-bit ODBC drivers, which don't work for many combinations of
64-bit OS and other software.  In order to define a 32-bit ODBC data
source, you can run:
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe
Note that you will have to run it with administrator privileges.  Then, you
can use (32-bit R)
mdb <- odbcConnect(handle) # handle is the name you specified for the odbc
source

Tom 2

Tom Philippi, Ph.D.
Quantitative Ecologist
Inventory and Monitoring Program
National Park Service
c/o Cabrillo National Monument
1800 Cabrillo Memorial Dr
San Diego, CA 92106
(619) 523-4576
Tom_philippi at NPS.gov
http://science.nature.nps.gov/im/monitor

             Edgar Torres
             <edtorres82 at yahoo
             .com.mx>                                                   To
             Sent by:                  "r-sig-ecology at r-project.org"
             r-sig-ecology-bou         <r-sig-ecology at r-project.org>
             nces at r-project.or                                          cc
                                                                   Subject
                                       [R-sig-eco] driver problem in RODBC
             11/18/2011 08:12
             AM PST

             Please respond to
               Edgar Torres
             <edtorres82 at yahoo
                 .com.mx>

Hello

I am trying to connect to a database in Acces 2007. But it show an error
message telling me that there is a problem with the connection.
My computer has Windows 7 64-bits. How can I install a driver? Where can I
find it? and How can I pick one?

> obs <- odbcConnectAccess2007("F:/Patudo_dans_Obstuna.mdb")
Messages d'avis :
1: In odbcDriverConnect(con, ...) :   [RODBC] ERROR: state IM002, code 0,
message [Microsoft][Gestionnaire de pilotes ODBC] Source de données
introuvable et nom de pilote non spécifié
2: In odbcDriverConnect(con, ...) : ODBC connection failed

Thanks a lot