[R-sig-eco] question about appropriate model for abundance studies

Sacha Viquerat tweedie-d at web.de
Fri Mar 18 14:14:12 CET 2011

hello! I did a count survey on a tropical fish species! Well, I didnt do
it, Im just helping at the statistics-stage. We recorded some water
parameters alogside each catch, such as no3, no2, po4 etc. as the data
are count data (and require error terms due to spatial
pseudoreplication), the glm with poisson error structure should be the
method of choice. however, I do fear that in doing so, I will not be
able to model fish abundance correctly. In my opinion (and, as far as I
remember, in the opinion of those who gave ecology classes), the
abundance of species should be sort of bell shaped, since there will
always be, for example, an optimal temperature, pH-level and so forth.
However, I have not yet seen such a discussion arise on one of the many
forums. Am I missing the obvious??