[R-sig-eco] Change in rotated NMDS scores as a response variable

gabriel singer gabriel.singer at univie.ac.at
Fri Mar 11 10:19:34 CET 2011

hmmm... I think Gavin´s approach definitely has more power, though I
don´t quite see why the original idea should not work. Orthogonality is
not an implicit feature of an NMDS but it´s also not "prevented"...
First, I think quite often NMDS still reproduces/extracts orthogonal
features of a dataset.
Second, even if NMDS does not care for orthogonality, a "specific"
feature of the dataset (say, the "moisture information" in herb data)
can behave more or less linearly or at least monotonic in *any*
direction on a 2D-plane, in which case the extraction of a rotated axis
makes complete sense. However, even in this case an ordisurf fit will
greatly help to understand if that´s a legitimate and reasonable
approach as I understand.

gabriel