[R-sig-eco] adonis with continuous variables

alfredo Tello alfredotello at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 00:11:40 CET 2011

Hi Folks,

The adonis documentation in vegan says that adonis accepts categorical
factors and/or continuous variables. I was aware (have seen it posted
somewhere else) that adonis could be run using a continuous variable as a
co-variate, but not that it could (or was initially intended to) be used
only with continuous variables.

Is it appropriate to use it with a single or several continuous explanatory
variables in a regression type approach? I have noticed that I get very
similar results with db-RDA (capscale) when using both functions with
continuous variables.

Thanks in advance for any comments!

Cheers,