[R-sig-eco] null models for a single species

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 15:15:52 CET 2011

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 2:55 PM, Penner, Johannes
<Johannes.Penner at mfn-berlin.de> wrote:
> Dear Prof. Oksanen,
>
> thank you very much for the quick reply! I will try to give more details on the problem.
>
> The data is from a colleague and she is investigating what are the responsible factors (environmental and genetic) for selection of ponds by reproducing frogs (one species only). So far all the usual ordination (nmds, pca, cluster analysis, etc.) has provided no result. No environmental factor tested seems to be important.
>
> Therefore, one of the hypotheses is that the frogs do not select at all and take ponds at random.

I don't think you can - you can only test if they are random *in
relation to the factors you measured*.

These frogs could have a preference for the ponds with a certain
characteristic X, but which is not reflected in any of your measured
factors - so *in regards of the factors measured*, the distribution is
random, but still highly dependent on the factor X.

Bottomline: I think you have to refine your question before you can answer it.

Cheers,

Rainer

> We would now like to test that statistically but we do not know how. Do you mean that by "structured model" and "structured hypothesis" or the structure of the ponds in the landscape?
>
> Thank you very much for your help!
>
> With kind regards
> Johannes

NEW GERMAN FAX NUMBER!!!