[R-sig-eco] Do we have to cut a dendrogramm at a specific level or not

Jens Oldeland oldeland at gmx.de
Sun Mar 6 09:57:24 CET 2011

Dear Group,

I am currently preparing a lecture on 'Cluster Analysis' and I found two
very different ways to interpret a dendrogram. The first option is to
'cut' a dendrogram at a specific height, like it is possible with the
cluster package.

The second option identifies the 'optimal clusters' at different
heights, for example see McCune etal. 2002 Analysis of Ecological
Communities Figure 11.3.

Now these are two very different ways of interpreting and I am wondering
which one is 'allowed' or perhaps the more practical way? Is it possible
to combine both? I.e. first search for the optimal cut level and then
adjust each clustering height by aggregation at heigher levels?

Regards,

Jens