[R-sig-eco] Partially non-independent ANOVA?

Dunbar, Michael J. mdu at ceh.ac.uk
Thu Jun 23 14:59:01 CEST 2011

Dear Cliff

Using a mixed-effects model (also variously termed multilevel or hierarchical model) could well be what you are looking for. These are implemented in several R packages.

In your study, in mixed model parlance, patient identifier would be a random effect (you don't say how many patients), with some patients having one measurement and some two, and treatment (control or periodontitis) would be a fixed effect. How or whether you code the sites (which would be another fixed effect) depends on whether they are of interest.

These approaches are very powerful, but I wouldn't advise just dipping into them - it can be hard to get things set up correctly if you just want "a test", they repay careful study. On the bonus side, once you're familiar with them you start seeing the everything in a hierarchical mindset!

You can model unequal variances by group, although you need to be careful in model specification.

Regards
Mike