[R-sig-eco] Anderson and Willis 2003, CAP squared canonical correlations of delta^2

Kari Lintulaakso kari.lintulaakso at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 08:10:05 CEST 2011

Thank you Jari for quick responce,

> So how close do you need to get?
>
>> 0.78101^2
> [1] 0.6099766
>> 0.69142^2
> [1] 0.4780616

Yes, that one I understood from Anderson's CAP manual.

>> # The only Eigenvalue related value I find is dune.cap$tot
> What about dune.cap$manova$Eigenvalues?

Thank you for pointing this out for me. I was referring to the R
documentation where there was no mention about these objects
(directly). A misunderstanding here.

When using dune.cap$manova$Eigenvalues:
               [,1]     [,2]      [,3]         [,4]          [,5]         [,6]
y[, group] 8.543145 0.825438 0.6292823 1.334105e-16 -5.300794e-17 1.572394e-17

These values are identical to the Eigenvalues in Anderson's CAP manual
and by ^2 I get the delta^2 values like in A&W2003?

Can you tell why
   > sum(dune.cap$manova$Eigenvalues)
  [1] 9.997866
is not same as
  > dune.cap$tot
  [1] 3.850346 ?
Are they measuring different axes? dune.cap2$tot for (sum of all
eigenvalues of PCoA) and dune.cap2$manova$Eigenvalues for the CAP
axes?

Can I compute the proportion of variance explained on each axis by:
> dune.cap$manova$Eigenvalues/sum(dune.cap$manova$Eigenvalues)
                [,1]       [,2]       [,3]         [,4]          [,5] ...
y[, group] 0.8544969 0.08256142 0.06294166  ...

And finally, does the dune.cap$manova give me the similar p as in the A&W2003?

Thank you for answering to my (for you trivial) questions.

-Kari

--
Kari Lintulaakso, M.Sc.(Biosciences)

Doctoral student
Paleontology and Paleoecology
Department of Geosciences and Geography
University of Helsinki

* Mobile: +358 50 40 33391
* Office:  +358 9 191 50842
* Email: kari.lintulaakso at helsinki.fi
* Post: Department of Geology, Gustaf Hällströmin katu 2a (P.O Box
64), 00014 University of Helsinki
* Web page: http://blogs.helsinki.fi/lintulaa/