[R-sig-eco] Spatial Autocorrelation - using co-ordinates as smooth factors in GAM's plus Spatial correlograms + Moran's I

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Thu Jan 27 22:14:13 CET 2011

Dear Chris,

to me, it is never a questions whether spatial correlation is present
(it is), but whether it is strong enough to address it. I never
understood why people would test for spatial autocorrelation, as
non-significant autocorrelation will only indicate that the sample size
is small. Of course, this is with my geostatistical glasses on, through
which I look at the world.

Including coordinates in a GAM may carry the risk that the solution is
not rotation invariant: directions of x and y are usually arbitrary
(unless on global scale), and would you be happy if the two 45 degrees
coordinates (x+y) and (x-y) would result in a different model? It seems
two-dimensional smoothing splines in x and y work well, in that respect;
I believe gam in package mgcv has these. This would filter out the
low-frequency, smooth trends; variogram modelling and kriging of
residuals may be better at picking up more local deviations.

When lost in the kriging woods, there's always r-sig-geo.

Bests,
--
Edzer