[R-sig-eco] post-treatment measurements as covariable?

Nicholas Lewin-Koh nikko at hailmail.net
Wed Jan 19 17:32:47 CET 2011

Hi Melissa,
I think the problem is confounding.
If you do not have pre and post measurements
of soil moisture, you cannot really fully model
the effect of warming on on growth vs the effect of drying, without
making some assumptions. Though it would seem to me, rusty though my
botany is, that increasing temp, would increase transpiration rate
of your plants, and hence growth. In general you need longitudinal data
to disambiguate these causal factors, with pre-treatment baseline
measurements. If this was a several year experiment, than maybe
there are some assumptions you can make and get adequate
results, such as all plants start with the same moisture level.
But if it is not too onerous I would repeat the experiment with a
cleaner design.
And use your current data to plan the experiment in terms of power
and treatment levels. This sounds like a good candidate for a split plot
experiment.

Nicholas