[R-sig-eco] Cluster Analysis using Data Distributions?

Michele Tobias tobias.michele at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 04:32:43 CET 2011

Hi everyone,
I have a dataset that has plant species with the slope and distance
along the transect recorded for each observed plant.  There are multiple
occurrences of each species.  So far I have done a cluster analysis
using hclust() from the vegan package after having calculated the
average slope and distance for each species (so the dataset only has one
record for each species).  I would like to take all of the data into
account and was wondering if there was a clustering method that can take
into account the distribution of the data - for example, could the
species be put into groups that have a similar histogram for their slope
and distance data?

Thanks for your help!

best,
Michele

--
Michele Tobias

PhD Candidate
Geography Graduate Group
University of California, Davis

mmtobias at ucdavis.edu
http://ggg.ucdavis.edu/student/michele-m-tobias
http://ucdavis.academia.edu/MicheleTobias

"The purpose of R-sig-ecology is two fold.
First, we want to provide a discussion forum for those analyzing ecological and environmental data with R.
Second, we want to encourage R users of all ability and experience to participate so that we may grow the
community of ecologists and environmental scientists that use R." https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-sig-ecology