[R-sig-eco] order of explanatory variables in vegan CCA

Gregory, Matthew matt.gregory at oregonstate.edu
Wed Dec 21 23:22:42 CET 2011

Hi all,

We run vegan CCA as part of an automated process.  Our typical use case is to read in species and environment matrices (from CSV files) and subset the environmental matrix with a vector of field names ('vars'), e.g.

  spp <- read.csv(spp_file, row.names = id_field)
  env <- read.csv(env_file, row.names = id_field)
  env <- env[,vars]
  cca_obj <- cca(spp, env)

Today, for the first time, we received the following error:

  Error in La.svd(x, nu, nv) : error code 1 from Lapack routine 'dgesdd'

which from googling implies that the SVD did not converge.  If I reorder the 'vars' list and rerun, I can have it run to completion.  I am completely naïve with ordination modeling, but is there any reason why the order of environmental variables would matter to CCA?  I would have thought this wouldn't matter.

Thanks for any pointers.

matt