[R-sig-eco] Distance sampling implementation in R?

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 11:55:31 CET 2011

Hi Fernando,

On 12/12/11 16:40, Fernando Arce wrote:
> You are probably looking for something like unmarked package.

Thanks - exactly.

> take a look at
> http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/unmarked/vignettes/distsamp.pdf
>  for an overview of distance sampling implementing in unmarked. You
> can get more information on the cran website about this project

Thanks a lot, I'll do so - looks like exactly what I was looking for.

Are you aware of any comparison between R + unmarked and the Distance
program? I am asking because Distance is considered as "best practice"
and I need arguments (apart from the obvious ones like open-source,
transparency, ...) to show that they are similar.

Cheers,

Rainer

*De:* Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug at gmail.com>
> *Para:* r-sig-ecology <r-sig-ecology at r-project.org> *Enviado:*
> lunes 12 de diciembre de 2011 15:50 *Asunto:* [R-sig-eco] Distance
> sampling implementation in R?
>
> Hi
>
> I was approached to do some analysis of bird census data using the
> Distance program (http://www.ruwpa.st-and.ac.uk/distance/), i.e.
> analyze distance sampling surveys to get estimates size or desity
> of the birds.
>
> As is stated on the website of the program Distance: ?
>
> "Distance sampling is a widely used technique for estimating the
> size or density of biological populations. Many distance sampling
> designs and most analyses use the software Distance."
>
> Nevertheless, I would ike to use R for this analysis. Has
> anybodu=y experience with doing this kind of analysis with R? Which
> packlages can be recommended? Ideas? Suggestions?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Rainer

- --
Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)