[R-sig-eco] The problems on BIO-ENV procedure by [R]

Dave Roberts dvrbts at ecology.msu.montana.edu
Mon Dec 5 18:57:14 CET 2011

Shun Tsuobi,

    isoMDS (and routines based on it) will not allow zero dissimilarity,
which implies perfect replicates.  One alternative is to remove one of
the replicates, but that may have unsatisfactory effect on further
analyses.  Alternatively, if you are sure you want to keep the duplicate
plots you can change the zero to a small value

d[d==0] <- 0.0001

and run the isoMDS on the resulting revised dissimilarity matrix.

Undoubtedly someone from the vegan group will respond to your second
question.

Dave Roberts