[R-sig-eco] Re : guidance required (GLM?)

Dunbar, Michael J. mdu at ceh.ac.uk
Wed Aug 24 12:35:57 CEST 2011

Chris is unlikely to need a binomial model if the response variable is biomass.

glm is generalised linear model: are you sure you don't just want lm (linear model with normal residuals) Chris?

You're new to stats, but you are trying to do something quite complex, you do need to build up you knowledge gradually. Can you fit some models to simpler subsets of the data with fewer factors, e.g. to one species at a time, or one shore at a time. Further you mention "post-hoc adjusted pairwise comparisons". A. This is not something for a beginner. B. They power to detect differences with these methods will be very dependent on the replication you have in your dataset - you don't mention anything about that. C. You seem to have a designed experiment but by going for post-hoc tests you are ignoring some basic principles of the scientific method associated with designed experiments: i.e. design an experiment to test a specific hypothesis or at least a small number of hypotheses. Many pairwise comparisons plus lots of interactions sounds like a poorly designed experiment to start with.

I'm afraid I couldn't understand how you created your raked and fished factors. I think you want a treatment factor and a raked factor. Making them interact with everything sounds like overkill unless you have prior evidence for particular interactions.

Regards
Mike