[R-sig-eco] random effects in a linear mixed model

Dunbar, Michael J. mdu at ceh.ac.uk
Mon Aug 22 15:43:14 CEST 2011

Edgar

I agree with what Chris says

(1 + BOAT | fYEAR) makes no sense

It is probably

(1|BOAT) + (1|fYEAR) that you want

Providing you have enough boats and years to estimate variance components for these two factors: please feel free to post any further queries but you will need to provide more information on the data if people are to give useful help.

Clearly boat is random, making year a factor and then random is a useful simplification to compare variances providing it makes sense to your research question.

Regards
Mike