[R-sig-eco] The final result of TWINSPAN

Dave Roberts dvrbts at ecology.msu.montana.edu
Tue Apr 26 23:40:18 CEST 2011

Dear List,

     Earlier this year on an (undoubtedly ill-advised) lark I coded up
an R version of TWINSPAN.  It's far from a polished package at this
point, but the code does run.  One of the interesting features is that
you can partition a PCO or NMDS in addition to the traditional CA. To be
clear, I am not a TWINSPAN fan either, but I wanted it for a methods
paper I was working on.

     The problem is that I based the code on Hill, Bunch & Shaw (1975,
J of  Ecol  63:597-613) which is what I had available.  Apparently the
algorithm in the commercial TWINSPAN is significantly modified from the
original, but I couldn't find a description of the actual algorithm
anywhere in the literature.  It is probably described in the User Manual
of the software, but I was not sufficiently motivated to chase down a
copy.  I do have a copy of the FORTRAN code, but it was apparently
written in FORTRAN II, and is basically inscrutable, even to an old
FORTRAN dog like me.

     So, if somebody has a clear description of the actual algorithm
(and I think it is disturbing that I could not find one), it would be
possible to code it up in native R.  The alternative, to write a wrapper
for the original FORTRAN code is not a trivial task.  I gave it a couple
of days and gave up.

David W. Roberts                                     office 406-994-4548
Professor and Head                                      FAX 406-994-3190
Department of Ecology                         email droberts at montana.edu
Montana State University
Bozeman, MT 59717-3460