[R-sig-eco] The TWINSPAN program

Gavin Simpson gavin.simpson at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Apr 13 15:47:41 CEST 2011

On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 15:01 +0200, Andres Mellado Diaz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think that TWINSPAN and IndVal are not so different (well, it's true
> that you can use your own a-priori clustering method in IndVal,
> because its use is independent of the classification method), in fact,
> TWINSPAN is cited 38 times in Dufrene & Legendre 1997 IndVal paper.
> They largely discuss differences and limitations between both methods
> throughout their article,

???

TWINSPAN /provides/ indicator values, but it is not its raison d'etre.
It *was* designed to *cluster* vegetation data in the two-way manner
Jari mentions and provides the indicator values as one of extra outputs.
In the past, one would have to use TWINSPAN to get indicator values
because there weren't many (any?) other options for computing them, but
if you wanted indicator values then you had to accept the TWINSPAN
clustering too - there was no either/or.

IndVal changed that so you *could* compute good indicator values along
the same lines as TWINSPAN but without having to use it esoteric
clustering algorithm. Of course Dufrene and Pierre cite the TWINSPAN
paper a lot; they were producing a new tool that at the grossest level
did something (one part) that TWINSPAN did and therefore could be
compared against.

Your entire email is focussed on one aspect of TWINSPAN and the
similarities between it and IndVal - you aren't seeing the woods for the
trees. TWINSPAN and IndVal are different beasts.

To your argument I might offer the repost: "post hoc ergo propter
hoc" (in a bastardised way: TWINSPAN and IndVal give me indicator
values, therefore TWINSPAN and IndVal are the same. ;-)