[R-sig-eco] Linear Model of Data in Matrix Form

Jane Shevtsov jane.eco at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 05:05:20 CEST 2011

Thanks, but that doesn't quite work. Using your toy example gives an
error about variable lengths.

> z <- matrix(1:9,nrow=3,dimnames=list(1:3,4:6))
> z.melt <- melt(z)
> z.melt
  X1 X2 value
1  1  4     1
2  2  4     2
3  3  4     3
4  1  5     4
5  2  5     5
6  3  5     6
7  1  6     7
8  2  6     8
9  3  6     9
> lm(z ~ z.melt$X1 + z.melt$X2)
Error in model.frame.default(formula = z ~ z.melt$X1 + z.melt$X2,
drop.unused.levels = TRUE) :
  variable lengths differ (found for 'z.melt$X1')

I'm using R 2.12.0 on Windows and just installed the reshape package.

Jane

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 3:40 PM, Ben Bolker <bbolker at gmail.com> wrote:

Jane Shevtsov
Ecology Ph.D. candidate, University of Georgia
co-founder, <www.worldbeyondborders.org>
Check out my blog, <http://perceivingwholes.blogspot.com>Perceiving Wholes

"In the long run, education intended to produce a molecular
geneticist, a systems ecologist, or an immunologist is inferior, both
for the individual and for society, than that intended to produce a
broadly educated person who has also written a dissertation." --John
Janovy, Jr., "On Becoming a Biologist"