[R-sig-eco] Making this plot in R: relative abundance vs. environmental gradient with each species ranked by niche optimum

Jari Oksanen jari.oksanen at oulu.fi
Tue Sep 14 10:40:18 CEST 2010

On 12/09/10 05:24 AM, "Laura S" <leslaura at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all:
>
> I am interested in plotting species relative abundance versus niche position
> along an environmental gradient. I would like the species' position along
> the the x-axis (environment gradient position) to be ranked according to
> each species' niche optima. I have seen this type of plot in publications,
> but I am not sure how to make a nice plot in R.

Laura,

Just like Gav, I don't know what you want to achieve. However, package gravy
(that was intended to put some meat in vegan) contains functions
boxgradient() and gaussgradient(), and there is a slim change this is what
you wanted to have. The gravy package is experimental, and not yet released,
but it is available from http://vegan.r-forge.r-project.org/. You can
automatically install the package on the command line (provided you have
privileges to install packages) using

install.packages("gravy", repos="http://r-forge.r-project.org")

or selecting the repository address in the GUI installer.

The package is unreleased and experimental, and there may be rough edges.
Proceed with care.

Cheers, Jari Oksanen