[R-sig-eco] Relating abundance and cover data

Karen Kotschy karen at sevenc.co.za
Tue Oct 26 11:27:18 CEST 2010

Dear list

This seems like something I really should know by now, but I'm getting so
confused, I'd really appreciate a little help!

I am trying to model the relationship between relative abundance (%) and
relative cover (%) data for plant species. I want to know to
what extent the 2 measures correlate, and to compare the extent of this
correlation at different sites. Obviously, both sets of data are
zero-inflated and highly skewed.

The "traditional" thing to do would be to log-transform both of them and
use lm(). However, a recent paper (O'Hara & Kotze, 2010) argues that a
much better approach is to use glm() and to specify Poisson or negative
binomial models, rather than using transformations. This does make a lot
of sense, I think!

I have tried using "quasipoisson" and "quasibinomial" families in glm(),
but I am left with a number of questions:

1) Should relative abundance and relative cover be treated as "count"
data, given that the values are not actually integers but rather
percentages?

2) Which parts of the output of glm(...family=quasipoisson(link=log)) do I
use to evaluate the fit? Just residual deviance and the p value?

3) How do I plot the data so as to graphically represent the model? If I
am using a log link should I use log axes for x and y?

Thanks so much for any help!
Karen

---
Karen Kotschy
Centre for Water in the Environment
University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg
Tel: +2711 717-6425

believed to be clean.