[R-sig-eco] NMDS vegan

Jari Oksanen jari.oksanen at oulu.fi
Mon Oct 25 23:00:28 CEST 2010

On 25/10/10 21:10 PM, "Soumi Ray" <soumiray74 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi listers,
>
> I am trying to run NMDS in vegan package. I have a species dataset - with
> columns as species and rows as variables. All my data are 0/1
> (presence/absence). My data has missing values. I saved my data in txt file
> and the missing values are blank spaces. I am using the syntax:
> <nmds <-read.table ('nmds.txt', header=T, rows.names=1, sep="\t")
> <nmds.mds.alt <- metaMDS (nmds, distance="bray", k=2, autotransform=FALSE)

Soumi,

The basic problem with metaMDS of vegan (NMDS is in MASS) is that you have
missing values. You are not supposed to have missing values in species data,
and most dissimilarity measures cannot cope with those (some can: check the
docs). Further, it is usually not meaningful to handle community composition
of empty communities: their composition is NA. Most dissimilarity measures
cannot handle such cases meaningfully. Some can handle those, but I'm not
sure if they do it meaningfully. Getting around these two things may help
you further in metaMDS.

Cheers, Jari Oksanen