[R-sig-eco] Help with Adonis

Emma Stone Emma.Stone at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Oct 11 16:10:47 CEST 2010

 Dear All

I am trying to run a non-parametric manova  and am using the adonis
    function in the VEGAN package in R.
    I am trying to assess the number and types of bat mitigation used at
sites
    as a function of four predictors. The predictors are : number of bats
    (nobats= continuous), impact (factor with 3 categories) and roost
    type(rtype = factor with 5 categories) and species (factor with 5
levels).
    There are three responses which are count data: number of boxes, number
of
    barns and number of lofts.
    The problem is that I have a lot of zeros in the data and they are not
all
    integers. I am able to run adonis on each predictor seperately but am
    unable to manage to get all the predictors in the same model.
    For each predictor my code is as follows:
    adonis(resp~Impact,data=pred,method=euclidean,permutation=500)
    I am not sure how to set up the data so that I can get them all in one
    model and then do interactions etc.

 To date I have put all the data in one frame and used the following code
    set up the response;

    resp<-alldata[,-1]

    and coded the predictor (in this case impact) as:

    impact<-factor(alldata[,1])

    Is there any way i can incorporate each other predictor in here? If so
does     anyone know how I can code it and set up the data frame.

    Any help would be most appreciated.

    Thanks

    Emma

    ----------------------