[R-sig-eco] keeping a variable as qualitative even if it is coded with numbers

Karen Kotschy karen.kotschy at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 10:25:16 CET 2010

Hi Amelie

I am not familiar with the workings of fourthcorner analysis, but suspect
that it involves calculation of dissimilarities. In this case, the way
binary variables like yours are treated can be very important.

Have a look at the function dist.ktab in the package ade4 and the
reference on the help page:

Pavoine S., Vallet, J., Dufour, A.-B., Gachet, S. and Daniel, H. (2009) On
the challenge of treating various types of variables: Application for
improving the measurement of functional diversity. Oikos, 118, 391-402.

You should probably code your variables as "fuzzy" (if a species can
belong to more than one group at a time e.g. wind and water, short and
long), or otherwise as "binary multichoice".

I'm not sure, however, whether your fourth corner analysis can use the
output from dist.ktab as is. But it would be important to find out exactly
how binary variables are dealt in the fourth corner analysis, and to code
them appropriately. For example, are they handled as symmetric or
asymmetric binary variables? This makes a difference to the calculation of
dissimilarty values.

Regards
Karen

---
Karen Kotschy
Centre for Water in the Environment
University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa