[R-sig-eco] population-level kernel utilization distribution

Sebastian P. Luque spluque at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 16:26:20 CET 2010

Hi,

The problem of estimating a utilization distribution for a group of
animals, based on movement trajectories from each individual is a
complex one.  Differences in the duration and frequency of locations of
individual tracks from multiple animals should be accounted for when
calculating such a "population" UD.  It's an effort issue.  For example:
multiple tracks, all regular time series, but all tracks have widely
different durations.  Questions to address are: can the track from an
animal that was observed for a very short time have the same weight as
those from another that was observed for 10 times as long?  Similarly,
can the track of an animal intensively using an area that no other
animal uses have the same weight as the rest when calculating a UD for
all?

In the papers I've read researchers simply use an average (or some
quantile) across individuals (or time) of the UD grids, but this doesn't
seem right to me.  I'd be grateful for any references where these
problems are addressed.

Cheers,

--
Seb