[R-sig-eco] relative compositional dissimilarity among sites against a continuous variable

Pekin, Burak K bpekin at purdue.edu
Thu Nov 25 18:37:38 CET 2010

Hello Jari,

My objectives are two fold. First, I want to determine the mean dissimiliarity among sites to assess which sites are most 'unique' in terms of their composition, i.e., contain a high number of species that are not found in many other sites. In a sense, I am trying to assess the relative rarity of species found at the sites. Working with a presence/absence data set, doing a bray-curtis or jaccard dissimiliarity should tell me this?

Second, I want to assess the relationship between the relative 'uniqueness' of sites and other continuous site variables. So, I could create an index out of the mean compositional dissimilarity of the sites and regress it against other variables, e.g., variable X increases as compositional 'uniqueness' decreases. If I understand correctly, while Permanova/adonis tell me which continuous site variables are significantly correlated with the variation in compositional dissimiliarity among sites, they do not tell me the direction of the relationship, right?

As for your example below, yes all sites within the matrix;
0011
0011
1100
1100
are equally 'unique'. So Adonis is probaly not very usefull for my purposes.

betadisper ( ) is probably more approriate since it will tell me if the 'uniqueness' of a site is significantly greater than the 'uniqueness', or in other words, beta-diversity, of other sites? Then I can then regress the uniqueness/beta-diveristy of the sites against any other environmental variable. I assume this is the best approach for the objectives I listed above. Please let me know if you agree.

Thank you for your insights,
Burak