[R-sig-eco] Dissimilarity ranking

Steve_Friedman at nps.gov Steve_Friedman at nps.gov
Tue Nov 23 21:43:19 CET 2010

Burak

You should explore the use of non-metric multidimensional scaling.

?cmdscale

Steve Friedman Ph. D.
Ecologist  / Spatial Statistical Analyst
Everglades and Dry Tortugas National Park
950 N Krome Ave (3rd Floor)
Homestead, Florida 33034

Steve_Friedman at nps.gov
Office (305) 224 - 4282
Fax     (305) 224 - 4147

             "Pekin, Burak K"
             <bpekin at purdue.ed
             u>                                                         To
             Sent by:                  "'r-sig-ecology at r-project.org'"
             r-sig-ecology-bou         <r-sig-ecology at r-project.org>
             nces at r-project.or                                          cc
                                                                   Subject
                                       [R-sig-eco] Dissimilarity ranking
             11/23/2010 03:09
             PM

Hello, I want to rank the dissimilarity of sites based on their species
composition. For example, I would like to be able to say that site A is
less similar in composition to the other sites than site B is similar to
the other sites. I could do a cluster analysis and look at which sites are
less closely clustered.

It would be even better if I could come up with a quantitative scale rather
than a relative ranking that would give a value for each site based on its
relative dissimilarity to the rest of the sites. So site A might receive a
90 out of 100, whereas site B and C might receive a 60 and a 50 indicating
the rank as well as 'relative quantity' of dissimilarity for each site.

Thanks,
Burak

Burak K. Pekin, PhD
Postdoctoral Research Associate