[R-sig-eco] Quantifying functional trait diversity through Gowerdistance and pcoa

francois Guilhaumon francoisguilhaumon at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 11:38:26 CET 2010

Dear Chris,

Given that your study is multi-faceted, and given the numerous
'purpose-specific' FD metric that exist, my humble advice would be to
use consistent ways to measure PD and FD.

I guess that for PD you are using a tree .... and that you are summing
branch lengths to calculate PD in your (discrete ~ grid cells)
communities. So why not use the same strategy for FD, building a
Functional tree and summing branch lengths ? But do not forget to
standardise by species richness (PD and FD are not independent of
species richness).

I would recommend you to read the following paper which is analysing
similar things at a more restricted scale :

Devictor V, Mouillot D, Meynard CN, Jiguet F, Thuiller W, and &
Mouquet N. (2010). Spatial mismatch and congruence between taxonomic,
phylogenetic and functional diversity: the need for integrative
conservation strategies in a changing world. Ecology Letters, 13,
1030-1040

you can find the pdf here :
http://nicolasmouquet.free.fr/publications/Devictor_et_al_2010_EcoLett.pdf

To get the best tree you can follow the strategy of Mouchet et al. :

Mouchet M., Guilhaumon F., Villéger S., Mason N., Tomasini J. A.,
Mouillot D. 2008. Towards a consensus for calculating dendrogram-based
functional diversity indices. Oikos 117 (5) : 794-800.

For which we have developed a piece of code :

http://www.ecolag.univ-montp2.fr/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=174&Itemid=117

You may also want to have a look at this paper and associated R code
on the PLos ONE site :

Cadotte, M. W., J. Cavender-Bares, D. Tilman and T.H. Oakley. 2009.
Using phylogenetic, functional and trait diversity to understand
patterns of plant community productivity. PLoS ONE 4(5): e5695.

link to paper :
http://www.utsc.utoronto.ca/~mcadotte/pubs/Cadotte%20et%20al.%202009%20PLoSONE.pdf

Hope this help in the 'cruel' world of Functional diversity.

Cheers,

François.