[R-sig-eco] Quantifying functional trait diversity through Gower distance and pcoa

Zoltan Botta-Dukat bdz at botanika.hu
Tue Nov 16 21:06:51 CET 2010

Dear Chris,

I'm not sure that You really have to create continuous "traits" by PCoA.
You can simply calculate functional diversity from the distance matrix.
If you have abundance data, I suggest calculating Rao's quadratic
entropy (it is implemented for example in FD and ade4 packages). If only
presence/absence data are available, you could find indices in Schmera
et al. (2009).

Using PCoA is needed only if you want to apply detailed analysis
proposed by Villéger et al. 2008. However, before do it, I suggest
reading Podani's comments (Podani 2009).

Best wishes

Zoltan

Podani, J. 2009. Convex hulls, habitat filtering, and functional
diversity: mathematical elegance versus ecological interpretability.
Community Ecology 10(2): 244-250.

Schmera, D., T. Erős and J. Podani. 2009. A measure for assessing
functional diversity in ecological communities. Aquatic Ecol. 43:
157-167. DOI 10.1007/s10452-007-9152-9