[R-sig-eco] TukeyHSD error from split plot model (Chris Habeck)

Philip Dixon pdixon at iastate.edu
Sun Nov 14 15:52:06 CET 2010

  Chris,

The problem is more fundamental than finding/using an R function, if by
'interaction term' you mean comparison of all pairs of cell means..
Statistically, Tukey;s HSD doesn't exist for that situation.  Tukey's
pairwise comparison method assumes there is a one and only one standard
error for the difference of two means.  There are two standard errors
for comparisons of cell means in a split plot, one for comparisons
within a main plot treatment and one for comparisons between main plot
treatments.  I recommend folks use a Bonferroni adjustment to the
p-value, a sequential Holm adjustment, or FDR.  That is assuming that
you have calculated the appropriate s.e. for each pair of differences.
This can be done, but is not easy, in R.

I have been told that Doug Bates and the LME4 group are working on an
effects package that will simplify these calculations, but I don't know
its current status.  I suggest you look at the R-mixed models forum for
the most recent information.

Philip