[R-sig-eco] Multiple proportions analysis in R

Manuel Spínola mspinola10 at gmail.com
Tue May 18 14:29:48 CEST 2010

Dear list members,

The following question is not entirely an R question but I am looking
how to analyze the below data set in R (I know that sample size is very
low):

I have a data set corresponding to 12 nests with (20 to 30 eggs each).
The number of eggs per nest varies.
In each nest I assessed the stage of egg development, location (zone),
humidity and temperature.

nest  stage0 stage2 stage3 stage4   zone   humidity temp

1        12       8        0        0           a        4.35      34.5
2         0       10       2        14          a        5.56       32.4
3         0       14      0         12          a        6.57       33.7
4         0       12     15        3            b       7.08        33.4
.
.
12      0        6       20       0              c       5.07       34.5

I have multiple proportions (one for each stage) in each nest but they
are not independent.
I want to assess the effect of zone, humidity and temp on the proportion
of different stages at each nest.
Is this a case for a multinomial model?
How is a simple way to analyze this data set?
Best,

Manuel Spínola

--
Manuel Spínola, Ph.D.
Instituto Internacional en Conservación y Manejo de Vida Silvestre
mspinola at una.ac.cr
mspinola10 at gmail.com
Teléfono: (506) 2277-3598
Fax: (506) 2237-7036