[R-sig-eco] Book Suggestions

Kyle Hernandez kmhernan at purdue.edu
Tue May 11 18:45:47 CEST 2010

Hello,
     My name is Kyle Hernandez and I'm a Ph.D. candidate at Purdue
University.  I am an R-user and have recently just started the Purdue
R-users Group.  However, I am really the only one in my area
(ecology/evolution/behavior) that uses R (and has an advanced education
in statistics). A group of fellow students really want to get into R
(especially those doing QTL/animal model things) and requested to have a
readings course this summer.  I will be there to help them understand
the syntax (and the math), but I don't know of any good 'general' R
books.  I have used Pinheiro and Bates Mixed-Effect Models in S and
S-PLUS for personal reasons, but it really only focuses on the nlme
package.  If anyone has a suggestion for a book that would go through
data I/O, data management (matrices, etc.), and then goes into
univariate and multivariate statistics (possibly even genomics) then
please let me know.  I know of statmethods as a great resource for
statistics, and I'm sure there are several other resources for specifics
(i.e., I use the ggplot2 online websource almost daily).  I doubt such a
book exists, but maybe through your suggestions I can find one book and
several online resources to help these students learn R.  I really
appreciate your help!

Kyle

--
Kyle Hernandez