[R-sig-eco] lme post-hoc help

Nicholas Lewin-Koh nikko at hailmail.net
Thu Mar 4 17:32:56 CET 2010

Hi Nathan,
I don't use SPSS, so I can't comment on what it is doing,
but if you look at the bottom of the output from multcomp
it says:(Adjusted p values reported -- single-step method)
What that means is that multcomp is adjusting for the fact
that you are doing six comparisons. So a quick and dirty
explanation is that worst case (Bonferonni), if you were
rejecting at 0.05, you would have to reject at 0.05/6=0.0083
and the p-values are adjusted accordingly. The adjustment
multcomp uses as default is not as severe as that.

Might I ask how many days you have? If you only have a small
number of days, you may not be able to estimate the variance
of the random effects very accurately, and you are better off
putting it in as a fixed effect.

lastly, your effect sizes aren't all that big, you may
need to look at your measurement instrument, are you using
% cover? or some other measure.

Best
Nicholas