[R-sig-eco] Species fit in ordination

syrovat at sci.muni.cz syrovat at sci.muni.cz
Fri Jul 23 19:12:01 CEST 2010

Dear list members,

I am creating an ordination diagram (now it is 'coca' but I would like to
use it also with any other ordination methods - DCA, CCA - and possibly
NMDS), where I want to show species in relation to main gradients (the
ordination axes).
The ordination is based on presence/absence (or abundance) of many species
(130) and I want to show only few of them - the most important. I thing
that showing the species best responding to the gradients (i.e. those,
which probability of presence really change within the two-dimensional
ordination space) would be a good practice.

If I remember well, there was an option to display only species with
specified fit in Canoco.

Is there any way to calculate the species fit in R? I think the function
'envfit' from the 'vegan' package is somewhat different. Maybe should I
use 'ordisurf'?

Or would you suggest some different practice in selecting the species to
display?

I will be very grateful for any help.

Best,
Vit