[R-sig-eco] is 1 hour long enough to assume independance?

Chris Howden chris at trickysolutions.com.au
Wed Jul 21 03:52:32 CEST 2010

Morning All,

I'm doing a Resource Selection Function Analysis on dingos and we are
having a bit of a debate on independence.

We're using a landscape unit of 40x40m (from a GIS) and have radio
collared data every 1 hour. So we can put a dingo in a specific 40x40 grid
very hour.

I'm concerned about the independence of the data since its only 1 hour
apart.

As such I'm proposing we split each day up into 4 periods (dawn, dusk,
night and day)  and randomly sample 1 fix from each. I feel that this data
will be independent. There is also evidence that dingos act differently in
these 4 periods, which further increases the chance of independence.

I was wondering what people thought?

Is 1 hour far enough apart to assume independence? Is splitting the day
into 4 periods and randomly sampling far enough apart to assume
independence? Or is even that too close, and should it be further apart,
like 1 day.

Chris Howden
Founding Partner
Tricky Solutions
Tricky Solutions 4 Tricky Problems
Evidence Based Strategic Development, IP development, Data Analysis,
Modelling, and Training
(mobile) 0410 689 945
(fax / office) (+618) 8952 7878
chris at trickysolutions.com.au