[R-sig-eco] Strange calculation of dt in adehabitat

Anders Kagervall Anders.Kagervall at vfm.slu.se
Mon Jul 12 16:36:54 CEST 2010

Hi Matt,

Here is my sessionInfo()
R version 2.10.1 (2009-12-14)
i386-pc-mingw32

locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=Swedish_Sweden.1252  LC_CTYPE=Swedish_Sweden.1252
[3] LC_MONETARY=Swedish_Sweden.1252 LC_NUMERIC=C
[5] LC_TIME=Swedish_Sweden.1252

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] gpclib_1.5-1     adehabitat_1.8.3 ade4_1.4-14

I also ran the test with Linux and R 2.11.1 and got the same results.
However, your comment made me think a little further and I'm now pretty sure that the problem comes from the fact that 2008-10-26 was a date when we changed from daylight savings time to normal time. I tested by replacing the month from  10 to 09 in the data file and got results without any missing points.
I'm still not sure if the problem I see is in how we record time in our database or how adehabitat calculates the time interval.  I will re-run the analyze using GMT-datetime, that we also have in the database, and see if I can get rid of the problem.

ps
Your assumption about the precision of the X and Y coordinates was correct. I have now attached the actual data file I used.
ds