[R-sig-eco] FW: mixed effect model: compare seed families

Dunbar, Michael mdu at ceh.ac.uk
Tue Jan 19 13:35:46 CET 2010

Hi Zoltan

Possibly plot and source site are crossed. ie (1|plot) + (1|site) in lmer (not nlme)

There would then be no problem in having fixed effects corresponding to sites and properties of individuals. As site is random, you can test sand vs clay, but a test of residual differences between sites is tested by comparing models with and without the site random effect. If you just want to test this within sand then just fit the models to the sand site data, but you then many be running short of replication?

You don't mention your response variable, is each individual measured more than once, of not then you can't specify an individual as random as there is no replication within it.

regards

Mike