[R-sig-eco] null models with continuous abundance data

Jari Oksanen jari.oksanen at oulu.fi
Thu Jan 7 21:24:09 CET 2010

On 07/01/2010 21:48, "Etienne Laliberté" <etiennelaliberte at gmail.com> wrote:

> Many thanks again Carsten.

Yes, you're right that care must be taken to
> ensure that a decent number
of unique random matrices must be obtained. I
> don't think it would be a
problem in my case given that transforming my
> continuous abundance data
to count by

mat2<- floor(mat * 100 / min(mat[mat >
> 0]) )

can quickly lead to a very large number of individuals (hundreds
> of
thousands if not > million in some cases). The issue then becomes
> mostly
one of computing speed, but that's another story.

Following your
> suggestion, I came up with a simple (read naïve) R
algorithm that starts with
> a binary matrix obtained by commsimulator
then fills it randomly. It seems to
> work relatively well, though it's
extremely slow.

In addition, because the
> algorithm fills the matrix one individual at a
time, I sometimes ran into the
> problem of one individual which had
nowhere to go because "ressources" at the
> site (i.e. the row sum) was
already full. In that case, this individual
> disappears, i.e. goes
nowhere. This is a bit drastic and clearly sub-optimal,
> but it's the
only way I could quickly think of yesterday to prevent the
> algorithm
from getting stuck. The consequence is that often, the total number
> of
individuals in the null matrix is a bit less than total number
> of
individuals in the observed matrix.

Etienne,

This is the same problem as filling up a binary matrix: you get stuck before
you can fill in all presences. The solution in vegan::commsimulator was
"backtracking" method: when you get stuck, you remove some of the items
(backtrack to an earlier stage of filling) and start again. This is even
slower than initial filling, but it may be doable. The model application of
backtracking goes back to Gotelli & Entsminger (Oecologia 129, 282--291;
2001) who had this for binary data, but the same idea is natural for
quantitative null models, too. The vegan vignette discusses some details of
implementation which are valid also for quantitative filling.

I would like to repeat the serious warning that Carsten Dormann made: you
better be sure that your generated null models really are random. Péter
Sólymos developed some quantitative null models for vegan, but we found in
our tests that they were not random at all, but the constraints we put
produced peculiar kind of data with regular features although there was
technically no problem. Therefore we removed code worth of huge amount of
developing work as dangerous for use. I do think that also the r2dtable
approach is more regular and less variable (lower variance) than the
community data, and you very easily get misleadingly significant results
when you compare your observed community against too regular null models.
This is something analogous to using strict Poisson error in glm or gam when
the data in fact are overdispersed to Poisson. Be very careful if you want
to claim significant results based on quantitative null models. Would I be a
referee or an editor for this kind of ms, I would be very skeptical ask for
the proof of the validity of the null model.

Cheers, Jari Oksanen

> I don't see this as being a
> real
problem with the large matrices I'll deal with though, but
> definitely
something to be aware of.

If you're curious, here's the simple
> algorithm, as well as some code to
run a test below. I'd be very interested to
> compare it to Vazquez's
algorithm!

Thanks again

Etienne

###

nullabun <-
> function(x){
   require(vegan)
   nsites <- nrow(x)
   nsp <- ncol(x)

> rowsum <- rowSums(x)
   colsum <- colSums(x)
   nullbin <- commsimulator(x,
> method = "quasiswap")
   rownull <- rowSums(nullbin)
   colnull <-
> colSums(nullbin)
   rowsum <- rowsum - rownull
   colsum <- colsum - colnull

> ind <- rep(1:nsp, colsum)
   ress <- rep(1:nsites, rowsum)
   total <-
> sum(rowsum)
   selinds <- sample(1:total)
      for (j in 1:total){

> indsel <- ind[selinds[j]]
         sitepot <- which(nullbin[, indsel] > 0)

> if (length(ress[ress %in% sitepot]) > 0 ){
            sitesel <-
> sample(ress[ress %in% sitepot], 1)
            ress <- ress[-which(ress ==
> sitesel)[1] ]
            nullbin[sitesel, indsel] <- nullbin[sitesel, indsel]
> + 1
           }
      }
return(nullbin)
}

### now let's test the
> function

# create a dummy abundance matrix
m <-
> matrix(c(1,3,2,0,3,1,0,2,1,0,2,1,0,0,1,2,0,3,0,0,0,1,4,3), 4,
> 6,
byrow=TRUE)

# generate a null matrix
m.null <- nullabun(m)

# compare
> total number of individuals
sum(m) #30
sum(m.null) #29: one individual got
> "stuck" with no ressources...

# to generate more than one null matrix, say
> 999
nulls <- replicate(n = 999, nullabun(m), simplify = F)

# how many unique
> null matrices?
length(unique(nulls) ) # I found 983 out of 999

# how many
> individuals in m?
sum(m) # there are 30

# how bad is the problem of
> individuals getting stuck with no ressources
in null matrices?
sums <-
> as.numeric(lapply(nulls, sum, simplify = T))
hist(sums) # the vast majority
> had 29 or 30 individuals

Le jeudi 07 janvier 2010 à 10:34 +0100, Carsten
> [...]
> or fit multivariate LM for nested models (i.e.
> > > intercept only, and with
> other covariates) and compare AIC's, or use
> > > the simulate.lm to get
> random numbers based on the fitted model. This
> > > way you can base you
> desired statistic on the simulated data sets, and
> > > you know explicitly
> what is the model (plus it is good for continuous
> > > data that you have).
> By using the null-model approach, you implicitly
> > > have a model by
> defining constraints for the permutations, and
> > > p-values are
> probabilities of the data given the constraints (null
> > > hypothesis), and
> not probability of the null hypothesis given the data
> > > (what people
> usually really want).
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Peter
> > >

> Péter Sólymos
> > > Alberta Biodiversity Monitoring Institute
> > > Department
> of Biological Sciences
> > > CW 405, Biological Sciences Bldg
> > > University
> of Alberta
> > > Edmonton, Alberta, T6G 2E9, Canada
> > > Phone:
> 780.492.8534
> > > Fax: 780.492.7635

> functions:

> and

> version)

> as you propose, to turn

> species from 3
> following data matrix

> 0, 0.28, 0, 0.42, 0.31, 0.19, 0.82,
> T)

> c("sp1", "sp2",

> therefore continuous. I want to generate n random community
> which both respect the following constraints:

> column totals are kept constant, such that "productivity" of
> site is maintained, and that rare species at a "regional" level
> rare (and vice-versa).

> is kept constant, i.e. each row
> though these zeros should not stay

> deal with continuous data, my initial idea was to transform the
> > > > >
> continuous data in mat to integer data by

> floor(mat * 100 / min(mat[mat>  0]) )

> by 100 is only used to reduce the effect of rounding
> integer (a bit arbitrary). In a way, shuffling mat could now
> as re-allocating "units of biomass" randomly to plots. However,
> > > > >
> doing so results in a matrix with large number of "individuals" to
> > > > >
> reshuffle, which can slow things down quite a bit. But this is only part
> > >
> > > of the problem.

> algorithm that can actually respect
> trying various R functions (r2dtable,
> yet been able to find one that can do
> > > > >

> I've had some kind help from Peter Solymos who suggested that I try the
> > >
> > > aylmer package, and it's *almost* what I need, but the problem is that

> matrix;
> within each

> Thanks

> F. Dormann
> > > >
> Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research-UFZ

================================
School of Forestry
University of
> Canterbury