[R-sig-eco] multiple regression (ONKELINX, Thierry)

Highland Statistics Ltd. highstat at highstat.com
Mon Feb 8 15:05:59 CET 2010

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 11:02:37 +0100
> From: "ONKELINX, Thierry"<Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be>
> To: "Peter Solymos"<solymos at ualberta.ca>,	"Nathan Lemoine"
> 	<lemoine.nathan at gmail.com>
> Cc: r-sig-ecology at r-project.org
> Subject: Re: [R-sig-eco] multiple regression
>
> Peter,
>
> I would think that the species richness is binomial distributed. Since there is a maximum number of species that can be present. Therefore I would model it like
>
> glm(cbind(number.present, number.absent) ~ covariates, family = binomial)

Interesting thought. Maybe correct. But there are a few things to think
about:
1. You have to assume that sampling was such that all species out there
have ended up in the data. Formulated differently...you need to know the
N_i (maximum number of possible species) in the B(p_i,N_i).
2. Not sure how the variance structure would work out; Poisson or NB
versus Binomial. I guess it may work out ok.
3.  B(p_i,N_i) means N_i independent (!) trials, each (!) with
probability p_i of success. But what happens if these trials (=species)
are not independent?

Anyway....it is not my problem....but you would need to think about
these things.

Alain

--

Dr. Alain F. Zuur
First author of:

1. Analysing Ecological Data (2007).
Zuur, AF, Ieno, EN and Smith, GM. Springer. 680 p.

2. Mixed effects models and extensions in ecology with R. (2009).
Zuur, AF, Ieno, EN, Walker, N, Saveliev, AA, and Smith, GM. Springer.
http://www.springer.com/life+sci/ecology/book/978-0-387-87457-9

3. A Beginner's Guide to R (2009).
Zuur, AF, Ieno, EN, Meesters, EHWG. Springer
http://www.springer.com/statistics/computational/book/978-0-387-93836-3

Other books: http://www.highstat.com/books.htm

Statistical consultancy, courses, data analysis and software
Highland Statistics Ltd.
6 Laverock road
UK - AB41 6FN Newburgh
Tel: 0044 1358 788177